Hannah Gideon, PhD
- Research Assistant Professor
- Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Education & Training
- B.Sc., Medical Microbiology, Mother Teresa Women’s University, India
- M.Sc., Medical Microbiology, Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal University), India
- Ph.D., Medical Microbiology, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
- Wessler T, Joslyn LR, Borish HJ, Gideon HP, Flynn JL, Kirschner DE, Linderman JJ. A Computational Model Tracks Whole-Lung Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Infection and Predicts Factors That Inhibit Dissemination. PLoS Comput Biol. 2020 May 20;16(5):e1007280. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007280. eCollection 2020 May.
- Wong EA, Evans S, Kraus CR, Engelman KD, Maiello P, Flores WJ, Cadena AM, Klein E, Thomas K, White AG, Causgrove C, Stein B, Tomko J, Mattila JT, Gideon H, Lin PL, Reimann KA, Kirschner DE, Flynn JL. IL-10 Impairs Local Immune Response in Lung Granulomas and Lymph Nodes During Early Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection. J Immunol. 2020 Feb 1;204(3):644-659.doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1901211. Epub 2019 Dec 20
- Darrah PA, DiFazio RM, Maiello P, Gideon HP, Myers AJ, Rodgers MA, Hackney JA, Lindenstrom T, Evans T, Scanga CA, Prikhodko V, Andersen P, Lin PL, Laddy D, Roederer M, Seder RA, Flynn JL. Boosting BCG with proteins or rAd5 does not enhance protection against tuberculosis in rhesus macaques. NPJ Vaccines. 2019 May 28;4:21. doi: 10.1038/s41541-019-0113-9. eCollection 2019
- Gideon HP, Phuah J, Junecko BA, Mattila JT. Neutrophils express pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in granulomas from Mycobacterium tuberculosis-infected cynomolgus macaques. Mucosal Immunol. 2019 Nov;12(6):1370-1381. doi: 10.1038/s41385-019-0195-8. Epub 2019 Aug 21
- Gideon HP, Skinner JA, Baldwin N, Flynn JL and Lin PL. Early whole blood transcriptional signatures are associated with severity of lung inflammation in cynomolgus macaques with Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. J Immunol. 2016 Dec 15; 197 (12):4817-4828.
- Wilkinson KA, Oni T, Gideon HP, Goliath R, Wilkinson RJ, Riou C. Activation profile of Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific CD4+ T cells reflects disease activity, irrespective of HIV status. AJRCCM 2016. June 1; 193(11):1307-10.Phuah JY, Wong E, Gideon HP, Maiello P, Coleman MT, Ruden R, Hendricks MR, Cirricione L, Chan J, Lin PL, Flynn JL. The Effects of B Cell Depletion in early Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Infected Cynomolgus Macaques. Infect Immun. 2016 Apr 22;84(5):1301-11.
- Flynn JL, Gideon HP, Mattila JT, Lin PL. Immunology studies in non-human primate models of tuberculosis. Immunol Rev. 2015 Mar: 264(1): 60-73.
- Gideon HP, Phuah JY, Myers AJ, Bryson BD, Rodgers MA, Coleman MT, Maiello P, Rutledge T, Marino S, Fortune S, Kirschner DE, Lin PL, Flynn JL. Variability in tuberculosis granuloma T cell responses exists, but a balance of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines is associated with sterilization. PLoS Pathog. 2015 Jan 22; 11(1): e1004603.
- Gideon HP, Wilkinson KA, Rustad TR, Oni T, Guio H, Kozak RA, Sherman DR, Meintjes G, Behr MA, Vordermeier HM, Young DB, Wilkinson RJ. Hypoxia induces an immunodominant target of tuberculosis specific T cells absent from common BCG vaccines PLoS Pathogens 2010 Dec 23; 6(12): e1001237.
- Gideon HP and Flynn JL. Latent tuberculosis: what the host “sees”. Immunologic Research. Pittsburgh Special Edition. Immunol Res. 2011 Aug;50(2-3):202-12.
- Young DB, Gideon HP, Wilkinson RJ. Eliminating latent tuberculosis. Trends in Microbiology. May, 2009, Volume 17(5):183-8
Tuberculosis (TB), caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb), is a global health problem causing more than a million deaths per year. My overriding research interest is to understand the host-pathogen interaction of Mtb infection. My research projects include evaluating immune repertoires at the local (individual granuloma) level and systemic level in the context of Mtb burden, infection outcome and other interventions such as vaccination, treatment etc. Our work is done primarily in non-human primate models of TB using novel techniques such as high parameter flow cytometry and transcriptional profiling (including single-cell mRNA sequencing in BSL3 conditions). In collaboration, I also participate in projects involving mathematical and computational modeling of immune response to Mtb infection. As a senior member of Prof. JoAnne Flynn’s group, I interact across all of her research projects.